Tuesday 12 June 2012

The U.S.A. HHS Mandate and the British NHS

Catholics in the USA are rightly disturbed by the HHS mandate which forces them to pay into Health Insurance Schemes which include the provision of contraception and abortifacient drugs. But it seems that the mandate is being fought against only as a violation of religious freedom, and fighting on this ground alone can give the impression that the contraceptive/abortifacient elements of the Mandate are not as important as religious freedom. Yet when our right to life is extinguished we cannot access any right, including the right to religious freedom. I would have liked to see the issues of religious freedom and contraception more closely tied together in the fight against this mandate.

For us here in the UK there is an important note to be made: we have been paying for contraceptive and abortive services for years via our NHS contributions.  How can Catholics in the UK fight against paying into the NHS provision of anti-life activities? The answer, it seems to me, is that we can’t; the NHS is an all-in health plan. I was never a fan of the USA system of Health Insurance where (I understand) certain treatments can be refused if the person’s Health Plan doesn’t cover it, but perhaps there is a wisdom in the USA system in that it allows us to choose health plans which do not contravene the conscience and the law of God.

I still love the NHS, and I am very grateful for the help it gives me in my own health needs and the health struggles of my parents and siblings. I am also grateful for the employment it gave me in times gone by. But I do wish there were some way in which we could opt out of paying for others to access contraceptive and abortive services...

3 comments:

  1. I couldnt agree more Father, as a UK taxpayer if only there was a way we could still contribute but opt out of the services that facilitate abortion and contraception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my mind, the reason that we U.S. Catholics are focusing more on the religious freedom in the fight against thee HHS mandate is to help us get support of other Christians or non-believers who might not be against contraception and abortifacients but who see a problem with the goverment forcing people to go against their religious beliefs. However, The bishops are also using this as an opportunity to explain the Church's teaching on contraception and abortion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the Bishops of the USA are doing the right thing; that they are being very astute here. I only wish there was a way that UK Catholics could opt out of paying for conraceptive and abortive practices.

      Delete

Please comment using a pseudonym, not as 'anonymous'.
If you challenge the Magisterium, please do so respectfully.
We reserve the right to delete from comments any inflammatory remarks.
If we do not reply to your comment it is through lack of time rather than interest.